Foods With Liver Benefits
The liver is a powerhouse organ and is the body’s main detoxifier. Aside from being your own personal filtration system, its long list of other responsibilities includes breaking down carbs, storing nutrients and creating bile that’s necessary for digestion. It works hard to keep you looking and feeling your best. So how about we show it some extra love!?
When your liver becomes taxed, inflammation occurs, which keeps it from performing as well as it should. But thankfully it is an organ that can regenerate itself. You can help speed up that process by limiting your exposure to harmful toxins (medications, chemicals, alcohol, etc.) and eating to support its ability to naturally rid them – so check out these six foods with liver benefits.
There are many foods and drinks that can help you keep your liver healthy and clean. We’ve rounded up six of our favorites:
- Green Tea It’s pretty well known that green tea is loaded with antioxidants and has a wide range of health benefits; one of which is protecting the liver. In fact, scientists recently confirmed that drinkers showed a significant reduction in the risk of liver cancer, liver diseases and cirrhosis (1). More matcha, please!
- Spirulina Spirulina is a blue-green algae that’s incredibly nutritious. It’s loaded with essential vitamins, including vitamin A, B1, B2, B6 and E, all of which are great immune boosters and can fight against fatty liver damage. Spirulina also contains sulphur bearing amino acids that assist the liver in flushing out toxins.
- Sea buckthorn Often referred to as the “holy fruit”, sea buckthorn is a powerful herb that’s rich in antioxidants and is known for its ability to expel impurities. Aside from having amazing skin and hair benefits, it also aids the liver. The healthy fats and carotenoids it contains help to defend it while also stimulating the flow of bile (2).
- Lemon Lemons are abundant in vitamin C and are super cleansing. They also support the digestion process and research has shown the citrus fruit to help reduce oxidative damage in the liver (3). Sounds like that warm cup of lemon water first thing in the morning is a trend worth jumping on!
- Coffee Coffee-lovers can clink their mugs together on this one. Yes, coffee is one of the best beverages you can drink to promote liver health. This is because it helps to reduce fat buildup and also increases protective antioxidants within the organ. As if we needed another reason to love a good cup of joe, right?
- Oatmeal Fiber-packed foods help your liver work its best, as it helps to ease digestion. Oatmeal is one of the richest sources of fiber, specifically soluble fiber, which has the ability to reduce the unhealthy form of cholesterol that can build up in our liver, blood vessels and elsewhere.
With so many essential functions, it simply makes sense to care for your liver. Incorporating some of these foods into your daily diet is a great step towards doing so! Make it easy with our line of superfood-based organic Equivalent Meal mixes. They’re convenient, tasty and powerful, and each of these foods can be found within the three different flavors.
- 2022 Holiday Gift Guide
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet
- Foods to Reduce Inflammation and Strengthen the Immune System