Spice Up Your Life: The Benefits of Turmeric
For thousands of years, all across the world, people have been consuming turmeric. But thanks to social media, the spice’s popularity has recently skyrocketed (we see you, golden milk). It’s superfood chic. It’s superfood du jour. Grown throughout India and other parts of Asia, this potent root is known for its bitter taste and beautiful color. It has a ginger-like flavor and has most commonly been used to liven up curries and stir-fries. But it’s the realization of turmeric’s many health benefits that has driven the spike in its recognition and demand.
The key claim is that it helps to reduce inflammation, but there is much more to this magical spice than that! In fact, it’s argued by many to be one of the most powerful herbs on the planet in regards to warding off, fighting and reversing disease. This is because turmeric contains an impressive compound called curcumin, which is responsible for many of its holistic healing powers and bright yellow hue. So, can adding a tablespoon into your daily diet really make you healthier?
Whether you’re looking for reasons to become a fan or are already an outspoken lover just seeking reassurance, here are a few of the many reasons why it should be a top-shelfer on your spice rack.
- Turmeric reduces inflammation It’s already been mentioned that turmeric is very effective in its ability to control inflammation. Since it provides relief from swelling and aches, it’s particularly great for those with arthritis, high cholesterol and chronic pain.
- Turmeric strengthens the immune system The anti-inflammatory properties in turmeric also help it to naturally boost the immune system. Given that cold and flu season is upon us, we call that perfect timing.
- Turmeric enhances memory and protects the brain In addition to benefiting physical health, turmeric also contributes to cognitive health. The curcumin boosts concentration, while another compound called aromatic turmerone has shown positive results in increasing stem cell growth in the brain and supporting regeneration.
- Turmeric supports liver health The liver’s main job is to filter out toxins found in the body. Turmeric supports this process, as it helps the organ maintain natural antioxidant levels to function at its best.
- Turmeric improves digestion Turmeric calms the digestive system, relieving everyday gas and bloating. It also aids our stomach to repel potentially harmful digestive acids.
- Turmeric boosts skin health Anti-inflammatory properties paired with antioxidants make turmeric super effective at treating many skin conditions and warding off premature aging. Furthermore, many speak of the radiant glow that it promotes. You can even use it topically in homemade masks.
- Turmeric packs nutrition In addition to all the nifty health benefits mentioned above, turmeric is also a really great source of nutrients. Just one tablespoon packs a powerful punch of manganese, iron, potassium and vitamin B6. Strong bones, strong brain!
With more and more research continually coming out in support of this amazing spice, you’d be crazy not to give it a try. Whether you’re hoping to cure a specific ailment or simply boost your overall health, it’s an excellent addition to any diet.
Not sure how to include it? Consider mixing it into a variety of condiments (ketchup, barbecue sauce, salad dressing etc.), sauté veggies with it or make your own golden milk – add a teaspoon to your favorite nut milk, sprinkle in a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon and finish with a drizzle of your favorite natural sweetener (Check out this Golden Milk Frappuccino for fancy inspiration).
Looking for an even easier and tastier way to introduce the super-spice into your daily routine? Our new Turmeric Fruit Bites are an organic, whole food blend of mango, peach and three types of potent turmeric with the equivalent of 5,000 mg of fresh turmeric per bite. With no gelatins, syrups or added sugar, it’s fruit, not candy!