All You Need to Know About Mushrooms
Mushrooms are having their moment in the health world, and it’s definitely well deserved. While it may seem like they’re a new addition to the superfood group, they have actually been used in traditional Chinese medicine for years!
This is because mushrooms provide key vitamins and minerals and have unique nutritional and healing benefits. There are many different types of mushrooms out there, so we simplified it down to a list of the most powerful! Here’s All You Need to Know about Mushrooms:
- Mushrooms provide vital vitamins and minerals. Mushrooms provide our bodies with selenium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D, proteins, and fiber. I mean, could the list get any longer? Just one cup of mushrooms provides our bodies with 8% of our daily potassium needs.
- Mushrooms help promote brain function. The two antioxidants found in mushrooms are ergothioneine and glutathione. These antioxidants play a role in fighting oxidation to our brain cells, which provides protection of our brain’s functions. Lion’s mane has been scientifically proven to improve cognitive function. I mean, who wouldn’t want to add a bit of mushroom elixir to their morning coffee and simultaneously be improving their brain function? I’ll take two cups please!
- Mushrooms aid in the prevention of chronic illnesses. Mushrooms contain polysaccharide β-glucans, fight tumor cell growth, and have been clinically proven to prevent the growth of cancer cells. These polysaccharides also help with immune support. So, not only are these trusty mushrooms helping build a strong immune system, but they are also aiding our bodies in faster recovery. These properties help prevent chronic illnesses such as, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, hypertension and stroke.
- Mushrooms protect heart health. Mushrooms are a natural way to help lower cholesterol levels. They do this by lowering “bad” LDL cholesterol and help raise levels of “good” HDL cholesterol. Not only are they good for lowering cholesterol, their potent phytonutrients help maintain a healthy and stable blood pressure.
- Mushrooms aid with stress and the immune system. Many mushrooms are considered adaptogens, which means they help the body cope with all kinds of stress (both internal and external) by stabilizing numerous physiological functions. Mushrooms also have the ability to fight off harmful bacteria and viruses by enhancing almost every system the body has to protect itself from diseases.
- Reishi Mushroom: Said to have anti-aging effects due to its properties to fight oxidative stress. Lion’s Mane Mushroom: Known for its effect on our cognitive function to help boost mental performance. Turkey Tail Mushroom: Most commonly known for its properties to fight against cancer cells and stimulate our immune response. Chaga Mushroom: Helps fight inflammation in our bodies and boost our immune response. Maitake Mushroom: Balances blood sugar, kill cancerous cells, lower cholesterol levels, boost immune function, promotes fertility, and helps reduce blood pressure.
- Building Muscle on a Vegan Diet
- Foods to Reduce Inflammation and Strengthen the Immune System
- All You Need to Know About Mushrooms