Pitaya Protein Donuts
These baked vanilla protein donuts with pink pitaya glaze are delicious as they are beautiful. And with 100% plant-based ingredients and fueled by Epic Protein Vanilla Lucuma, they pack a serious punch of nutrients including over 19 grams of plant protein.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (raw cane, coconut, or white cane)
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk
- 2 flax eggs (see Notes)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Epic Protein : Vanilla Lucuma
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp Suncore Foods Pink Pitaya Supercolor Powder
- 5-6 Tbsp plant-based milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and spray a donut pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, milk, flax eggs, vanilla, and applesauce. Sift in the flour, Epic Protein powder, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg and gently mix the ingredients together until no flour pockets remain.
- Fill a pastry bag or large zip top bag with the batter. Pipe the batter into each donut well, filling to the top.
- Bake donuts at 350°F for 10-11 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean.
- Allow donuts to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before carefully removing to a cooling rack.
- Repeat until all 12 donuts are baked and cooled.
- For the glaze: in a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, Pink Pitaya powder, and 5 Tbsp of milk. Stir until no sugar lumps remain. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk. If it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Dip the top of each donut in the glaze, shaking off any excess. Immediately flip the donuts over and place back on your cooling rack to set. Alternatively, you can spoon and smooth the glaze over the tops of each donut.
- Enjoy the donuts immediately!
ABOUT THE CHEF
This is a guest recipe from Rachael Ng (@sugaredandstirred), a home baker who specializes in dairy-free treats. She creates delicious and approachable desserts that you can enjoy, in moderation, no matter your goals. Because, let’s face it, sometimes we all need a giant slice of frosted cake!