Vegan Sugar Cookies
These vegan sugar cookies are a gluten-, oil- and dairy-free variation of the classic dessert snack that use coconut sugar, almond flour, vanilla extract and raw cashew butter to get their delicious flavor and perfect texture. Enjoy!
- 4½ tablespoons coconut sugar, powdered, finely ground
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons blanched almond flour
- 7 tablespoons potato starch, not potato flour
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons white rice flour
- ½ teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- scant ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons raw cashew butter
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 metal cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Prepare the coconut sugar by grinding it to a fine powder using a food blender or coffee grinder, if necessary; add to a large bowl.
- Carefully measure and add the almond flour, potato starch, rice flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl of sugar, whisking very well until everything is thoroughly combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, add the syrup, cashew butter and vanilla, making sure the cashew butter is soft and smooth; whisk until it's a completely smooth liquid.
- Pour over the dry ingredients slowly while stirring together the batter with a spoon for several minutes, making sure all the flour is incorporated and it becomes really thick and stiff.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll into 18 balls and place on the 2 pans (note that the dough is very sticky, so it might help to dampen your hands or lightly dust them with rice flour).
- With damp fingers, press each ball down to approximately ¼ inch thickness.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes, depending on thickness of the pan (note that the tops should have poofed up and the edges have a slight crackled effect).
- Let them cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then using a thin spatula, remove them to cool completely on a wire rack.
NOTESMakes approx. 18 cookies. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator. Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, butter-free, egg-free Nutrition per cookie: Calories: 129.7 Fat: 6.1 g Carbohydrates: 16.8 g Sugar: 9.2 g Sodium: 77 mg Fiber: .75 g Protein: 2.75 g
ABOUT THE CHEF
Brandi is the creator of the blog The Vegan 8. She has been a passionate cook for years, but it was her husband’s painful disease with gout that led her to choose a vegan lifestyle. She chose a healthier way of eating for her family that ignited a passion to create unique and delicious recipes that also happen to be vegan, gluten-free and oil-free. Her blog has become very popular, as it focuses on 8 ingredients or less, so anybody can make them with ease. Brandi believes in using nature’s powerful whole foods to nourish and promote a healthier body and a healthier mind. She enjoys creating food that everybody loves, whether vegan or not. Brandi’s belief is that food can be easy, use minimal ingredients, yet still be shockingly delicious.