Spicy Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Spicy Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies combine powdered and crystallized ginger with almond flour and dairy-free chocolate chips for a delectable twist that is vegan, gluten free, oil free and grain free. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (150 g)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (30 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (120 mL)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 heaped tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Add the almond flour, tapioca, baking powder, ground ginger and salt to a large bowl and whisk well.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the syrup and vanilla. Give the liquid portion a quick stir. Pour the chocolate chips and chopped ginger on top and stir all of the ingredients together until it becomes a very thick batter.
- Using a cookie scooper, drop large mounds onto the prepared sheet and space them about an inch apart. I fit all 14 cookies on the pan. For extra dazzle, I gently pressed some extra chocolate chips on top of the cookies. Just make sure to not flatten the actual cookies, as they will spread on their own beautifully while baking.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes until beginning to turn golden on top. 13 minutes produced the perfect cookie for me, using a cookie scooper. Using a cookie scooper creates a slightly higher mound, so if you're just using a regular spoon, your mound may be slightly flatter and may cook a little quicker/crispier, so it may only need 12 minutes. Be careful not to overbake as it can dry them out. They are even better the next day and become super soft.
- Let cool just 5 minutes on the pan, then transfer to cool completely on a rack. They will firm up a lot while they cool, so don't remove them while warm. Store wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or sealed container.
NOTES*Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, grain-free *Nutrition per cookie: 155 calories, 8.8 g fat, 3.1 g protein, 18 carbs, 12.7 g sugars
ABOUT THE CHEF
Brandi is the creator of the blog The Vegan 8. She has been a passionate cook for years, but it was her husband’s painful disease with gout that led her to choose a vegan lifestyle. She chose a healthier way of eating for her family that ignited a passion to create unique and delicious recipes that also happen to be vegan, gluten-free and oil-free. Her blog has become very popular, as it focuses on 8 ingredients or less, so anybody can make them with ease. Brandi believes in using nature’s powerful whole foods to nourish and promote a healthier body and a healthier mind. She enjoys creating food that everybody loves, whether vegan or not. Brandi’s belief is that food can be easy, use minimal ingredients, yet still be shockingly delicious.