Raw Vanilla Pecan Bars with Cashew Icing
These Raw Vanilla Pecan Bars are a decadent combination of oats, pecans, coconut sugar, maple syrup and our Epic Protein : Vanilla Lucuma that adds a delicious Cashew Icing made with cashew butter, maple syrup, unsweetened apple juice and vanilla extract. Enjoy!
For The Bars
- 1 cup certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces (56 g)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (48 g)
- 3 tablespoons Epic Protein : Vanilla Lucuma
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup cashew butter (if too thick or stiff, warm to a smooth liquid prior to measuring; for a substitute to cashew butter, use 3 tablespoons of almond butter)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or agave, 30 mL)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Extra coconut sugar to sprinkle on top
- Add the oats to a food processor and process to a fine flour, before adding the pecans and coconut sugar and processing until finely ground.
- Add the Epic Protein : Vanilla Lucuma and salt and process once more until just blended.
- Add the cashew butter, syrup, apple juice and vanilla extract to a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the icing over the dry ingredients in the food processor, and process until it all comes together in one large bowl and is chunky. (Be careful not to overprocess into a butter.)
- Line a 9" x 5" loaf pan with plastic wrap (you can use a smaller pan for thicker bars) and press the mixture out evenly to the corners, flattening with a spatula.
- For the icing, process the ingredients together until smooth and spread over the bars.
- Sprinkle coconut sugar over the top, and place in the freezer until firm and set.
- To serve, cut into 8 bars. (For storage, keep them in the freezer or fridge. The icing will be softer in the fridge, and if you leave them out for an extended period of time at room temperature, they will soften more.)
NOTESRaw, vegan, gluten-free, oil-free Nutrition per bar (based on 8) without icing: 194.75 calories, 10 g fat, 5.78 g protein, 21.5 carbs, 10.625 g sugars With icing: 240.78 calories, 13 g fat, 6.9 g protein, 25.7 carbs, 13.5 g sugars
ABOUT THE CHEF
Brandi is the creator of the blog The Vegan 8. She has been a passionate cook for years, but it was her husband’s painful disease with gout that led her to choose a vegan lifestyle. She chose a healthier way of eating for her family that ignited a passion to create unique and delicious recipes that also happen to be vegan, gluten-free and oil-free. Her blog has become very popular, as it focuses on 8 ingredients or less, so anybody can make them with ease. Brandi believes in using nature’s powerful whole foods to nourish and promote a healthier body and a healthier mind. She enjoys creating food that everybody loves, whether vegan or not. Brandi’s belief is that food can be easy, use minimal ingredients, yet still be shockingly delicious.