Garlic Kale Pesto Pasta
This Garlic Kale Pesto Pasta dish creates a boldly flavored pesto thanks to fresh garlic cloves, balsamic vinegar and baby kale, which is tossed over gluten-free pasta for a filling, healthy and delicious dinner that is easily and quickly prepared. Enjoy!
- One 10 oz bag of frozen peas (280 g which is 1 3/4 full cups)
- 1/2 cup water, add more as needed
- 4-5 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tablespoons dark red wine balsamic vinegar (depending on how bold you want the flavor)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 oz of baby kale (about 3 heaping cups)
- 12 oz gluten-free brown rice spiral pasta (this type of pasta works best with this pesto)
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions. While it is cooking follow the next steps.
- Add the peas, water, garlic, nutritional yeast, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to a large pan and turn the heat to medium.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until almost all the water has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked mixture to a food processor with the greens, in batches, until pureed and smooth.
- Add the warm pasta water to reach desired consistency. (I added about 2 more tablespoons.)
- Serve over the pasta.
NOTES*Gluten-free, oil-free, vegan, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free if leave off the walnuts garnish *Nutrition per serving with pasta (1 cup): 417.5 calories, 3.25 g fat, 14 g protein, 85.5 carbs *Nutrition on just pesto: 102.5 calories, .25 g fat, 8 g protein, 18 carbs
ABOUT THE CHEF
Brandi is the creator of the blog The Vegan 8. She has been a passionate cook for years, but it was her husband's painful disease with gout that led her to choose a vegan lifestyle. She chose a healthier way of eating for her family that ignited a passion to create unique and delicious recipes that also happen to be vegan, gluten-free and oil-free. Her blog has become very popular, as it focuses on 8 ingredients or less, so anybody can make them with ease. Brandi believes in using nature's powerful whole foods to nourish and promote a healthier body and a healthier mind. She enjoys creating food that everybody loves, whether vegan or not. Brandi's belief is that food can be easy, use minimal ingredients, yet still be shockingly delicious.